When someone is injured in a serious motor vehicle accident, they have certain rights that are afforded to them under the law. One of these rights is to hire an attorney to help them pursue fair motor vehicle accident compensation. Without an attorney, facing the insurance company of the at-fault driver can become a nightmare and injured victims are often given much less than they deserve or have their claims denied.
Understanding Non-Pecuniary Loses
Injured victims can sometimes find it difficult to understand how much their claim is worth. It is particularly difficult to put a number on non-pecuniary losses. There are five categories of non-pecuniary losses, including the following.
- Pain and suffering – This is the pain and suffering that was endured as a direct result of the accident.
- Loss of enjoyment of life – This means a person has lost an ability that has affected their ability to enjoy life as they did before.
- Loss of amenities in life – This means there are certain duties a person can no longer carry out due to the injuries incurred.
- Decreased life expectancy – This means the accident has caused injuries that would result in trimming years off of the victim’s lifespan.
- Mental or bodily harm – This means physical or mental conditions have arisen as a direct result of the motor vehicle accident.
Meeting with an attorney allows an injured victim help in the process of pursuing compensation in all its forms. They will help their client place an accurate value on their claim so they will know how much they deserve in their settlement offer. If the insurance adjuster refuses to offer what is fair, having an attorney is especially important so a lawsuit can be filed.
Scheduling a Consultation Is Important
Hiring an attorney is one of the most important things a person can do when they have been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident. Meeting with an attorney allows a person to learn more about the rights they hold and what can be done to pursue compensation. Call today if you would like legal help with your motor vehicle injury claim.